After you have your lips injected with dermal fillers containing hyaluronic acid (Juvederm or Restylane) certain side effects can occur. The Blume Skin Centre gives the following information to all patients before they leave the office.
Post care instructions for lips after dermal fillers:
- Similar to a dentist visit, your lips will feel numb and very large, this is completely normal. Due to the vascularity of the oral area, lips usually swell immediately after they’ve been injected. The material used to help with initial pain contains lidocaine and will wear off within 2 hours.
- Bruising is a common side effect. The bruising is temporary and will not last long.
- Swelling is expected and can last a few hours to a few days. Don’t worry, the swelling will decrease! It may take a few days to get used to your new lip size.
- To help with swelling and/or bruising, an ice pack may be applied as often as 10 minutes every half hour for the first 24 hours.
- Do not take aspirin or ibuprofen as it may contribute to bruising, Tylenol is fine.
- You may apply lipstick or gloss after the healing starts (usually within 24 hours).
- If pain or swelling continues or if you have any bleeding, please call The Blume Skin Centre at 480-699-7999 for instructions.
Now, go enjoy those fabulous lips!